Re: Library subs for works licensed under Creative Commons

I guess the question I have about it -- and perhaps/probably I'm
just ignorant about this but...the creative commons license
allows for non-commercial use.

Since a university is a commercial enterprise -- at least in some
sense -- it charges students fees in return for services -- could
use in a university setting be considered "non-commercial"?

That probably accounts for the lack of definition regarding a
subscription relationship.  It isn't a subscription relationship,
a business relationship, as libraries commonly understand it, but
a "use relationship".

A normal subscription establishes a set of relationships between
TWO parties. Creative commons is a creator ceding his/her rights
to some other party with whom they have NO relationship saying
they have a right to USE the material, provided it is for
non-commercial use, etc.

It's like me making a painting, giving it to you and saying "Do
what you want with this. I'd prefer you didn't sell it on e-bay."

Probably someone else has a better explanation???

Karl Bridges