KLD Research (business database) indemnification language

Background:  The Yale Library has in place numerous e-resources
agreements, and we are successful in securing appropriate terms.
One of BEWARE signals all along for us has been indemnification
language.  We will not sign language that asks us to indemnify a
database provider.  It is common for producers of educational
resources to either not have such language, or to remove it, or
to agree to some kind of mutual indemnification or some
alternative that doesn't put the onus on the Library or
University.

However, we now have a database subscription that asks us to sign
indemnification language (1) that we have said we cannot and will
not sign; (2) that the publisher, KLD Research, will not remove
or alter; and (3) that our librarians have been told is a
must-have for their business and SOM users.  Furthermore, KLD has
said that several other peer institution's libraries have signed
this kind of language, though in truth we don't know what the
circumstances of those arrangements were, so we don't know if
they are comaprable to ours.

The language reads:  INDEMNIFICATION

"Except as otherwise set forth in Section 9 below [NOTE: SECTION
9 DOESN'T HELP US], Licensee shall defend, indemnify and hold
harmless KLD against damages, costs and expenses (including
attorney's fees) arising from any claim made against KLD by any
third party alleging damages related to Licensee's use of the
license granted herein or Licensee's use of the Product or access
thereto from or through Licensee."

This is, we believe, excessive, overbroad, and impossible.  We
have tried and tried but while they were reasonable on other
clauses, on this point they said that they feel too vulnerable to
make any changes.  Possibly, they normally deal with businesses
rather than educational libraries and haven't enough experience
or trust us enough to use education-friendly language here. And,
other peer libraries have signed such language?!

I would welcome any comments or insights from libraries that have
signed up with KLD Research and how they managed to get this
clause changed, or if they did, or if they signed anyhow?

Many thanks, Ann Okerson/Yale Library