Re: universities experiment with paying OA fees

Joe

And in fact I agree with much of this. As the larger publisher
aggregator publishers put more content in their 'big deal'
bundles it is increasingly impractical for libraries to subscribe
to content except through the big deal. This tendency merely to
aggregate without offering effective disaggregation is not using
the inherent flexibility of the 'subscribe to appropriate
copyrights' mechanism.

But I am not sure that I see why an 'imaginative' publisher
should expect to see a proportionate (not absolute) decline in
library revenues year over year.

It surely depends on what has gone before and what kind of
service the publisher is offering to libraries and other
institutions. There are services which are only/primarily
intended for libraries and library subscriptions.

Adam