Re: universities experiment with paying OA fees

I think there have been some very reasoned and sensible comments
on this thread especially from Ahmed Hindawi, which I hope to
comment on later, but also from David. Yes - he is correct.
Authors from throughout the world for all the time that I have
been in publishing have complained about US society journals
charging page charges and other charges. Peter Suber makes a
great deal of this. HOWEVER the practice of charging is almost
entirely restricted to the US association environment. I have had
responsibility for journals at Academic Press London, Oxford
University Press and Chapman & Hall (Thomson) and can recall only
one journal that had page charges on their programmes - and that
was Journal of Theoretical Biology in the 1970s where the
charging was (I recall) an entrepreneurial activity by the
editor.

Page charges are not common (indeed very rare) for journals owned
by associations outside the US or by commercial companies
anywhere. A few weeks ago I heard a presentation from the editor
of a journal in high energy physics who said the the levying of
page charges in his community by the associations self-publishing
journals serving it was discontinued due to the growing
popularity of journals published by Elsevier that were taking
away authors. I do not know whether or not this is true but it
was his understanding.

I just want to re-make the one point. David aims for total OA, an
environment in which all content is available on the open web
immediately it is peer-reviewed. I think we can agree that in
this environment the subscription model is not viable and it is
probable that the cost of running a journal will need to be met
by author payments in most cases and probably in some disciplines
for all serious journals. The concept of a serious journal is (I
appreciate) a vague one but it is understood by academics. If you
want to see a multiplicity of a non-serious journals look at
DOAJ.

Maybe some potential authors will get waivers. Most authors will
need to get funding to publish. If they cannot get funding and
they cannot afford (personally) to pay they will not be able to
publish in a serious journal.

Like the majority of publishers I believe that the
author-pays/free-access model is an excellent one for those
disciplines that have the level of funding available. Many of us
are following the OUP experience with Nucleic Acid Research
closely. My own UCL colleagues are working with OUP to monitor
this and the hybrid options being actively pursed by the Press to
their credit.

It is the attempt to force all academics and those publishers
that serve them to adopt an OA model by force that sticks in the
throat of many - and I am one of them. If academics are in a
position to choose to pay for OA that is great. If not - why
should they be forced? This question is of course rhetorical. I
am sure that there will be plenty of explanations about why it is
necessary to mandate.

Anthony