Re: universities experiment with paying OA fees

Phil Davis wrote:

Price sensitivity is key to the solution, and I'm glad that David brings this point up again. It also allows us to debate the rationality of different publisher models on economic (rather than moral) grounds. The Report of the Cornell University Library Task Force on Open Access Publishing done in 2004 contains a large section where we considered the implications of various models of funding (see pages 7-11 of http://hdl.handle.net/1813/193). None of them, of course, is without problems.
I looked into the paper 7-11 again and I know I have to work on this quite a bit before writing along these lines. One issue is that, which is not mentioned in your paper, I believe, within the economics of open access realm, flow of money remains, only its direction and quantity may change. It is a matter of investigation to understand 'who pays what' - which is, of course, very important. It is important because it determines the changing role of these institutions - libraries, research universities, publishers - in the open access supply chain.

I guess the amount of tax paid by the commercial publishers to the government would fall in the same brackets what universities receive as grants from the government (and other sources) for giving OA fees, including others. Then on the user side, the fees for accessing licensed content are not paid by the users themselves, they are paid by the libraries. In a way, the issue of charging authors or users is much more neutral than we can think.

Atanu Garai