RE: Use/Publication of Abstracts That Accompany Journal Articles

I can at least clear up the second point.  From the PMC website:

"Copyright to all material deposited in PMC remains with the
publisher or individual authors, whichever is applicable. PMC is
simply an archive and does not claim copyright on any material in
the archive."

Ian