Re: Use/Publication of Abstracts That Accompany Journal Articles

jAn abstract, whether created by the publisher or by a third-party service, is independently copyrightable and an entity unto itself. I would therefore not consider it fair use to republish the entirety of it without permission.

Where you get the abstract from is immaterial to its copyright status. Just because something appears on a government site does NOT make it public domain. It is only if the abstract was itself created by a federal government agency that it could then be considered PD.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press

Dear Listers:

I would appreciate your advice on answering these questions,
recently raised by a faculty member:

"I am creating a bibliography of articles on a topic. My
bibliography will be published as a journal article or technical
report.

    -do I need to get permission of the publisher to include the
abstract that appears in the cited article, or does my use of
those abstracts fall under fair use? (small portions of the
original publication)

    -If [I] obtain the abstract from a database like PubMed, which
is not itself copyrighted and is in the public domain, does that
affect my use?

Is there a citation or source that I can refer to for
substantiating this?"

Thanks in advance for your expert opinions and interpretations!

Karen S. Tschanz,  M.L.S., M.B.A., M.S.O.D.
Asst. Prof./Chair, Content Management
Robert B. Greenblatt, M.D., Library, AB-241
Medical College of Georgia
Augusta, GA 30912
E-mail: ktschanz@mail.mcg.edu