Re: In the news (Georgia State)

Ian.Russell writes

> 1) Strictly speaking, arXiv is an electronic preprint server so
> the papers there may not be the published version.  Are
> researchers in physics happy to use that version?

I can't comment on this since I am not a physist. In my time as
an economics researcher I have seen so many mistakes in journal
papers I don't believe in peer review at all.

There is one particular (quite well known) economist I have read
several papers off, all contained severe problems, he just made
up the Maths just to please him. The world would be much better
place if there would be more public review of papers.

> Would researchers in human medicine be happy to use a version
> of unknown providence?

Papers are still signed by authors, so the provenance is clear.

> Would librarians be happy with that situation?

The happiness of librarians is not particularly important.

> 2) The content that I am familiar with on arXiv almost always
> associates a posted article with a journal.  Authors very
> quickly add 'submitted to Physical Review E' or 'Published in
> Classical and Quantum Gravity' (or whatever journal) to their
> preprint. Why?  Well to get the authority / credibility /
> imprimatur / brand identity of the journal.  This is tied to -
> but not exclusively gained by - the peer review process of the
> journal.

That's not a reason to buy a copy of the journal.

> It is very important to note that for many, many years (going
> back to pre-web) journals have NOT been the method of primary
> dissemination in some subjects. arXiv may provide access to
> content, but trustworthiness and authority - for the time being
> at least - still comes from journals (whatever business model
> is used).

Journal papers are read by subject experts. They can judge the
paper on its own merits, and don't need a journal to tell it is
valuable. All they need is some channel that tells them about the
latest papers in their field. In RePEc we do this with NEP: New
Economics Papers, at http://nep.repec.org, a creation of mine.

> What would happen to academia if the primary mechanism of
> identifying trustworthy content and assessing the order in
> which to read papers was taken away?

But I never suggested to remove peer review. Simple economic
sense dictates that those who get the benefit of peer review,
i.e. authors, rather than readers, should pay for it.

> 3) As someone who represents society publishers I find Thomas'
> final point very interesting.

Let me add some more elements to this idea.

Research is published to advertize skills of the academic staff
of an institution. Institutions are in the business to maximise
attention to the research results that are produced locally. When
the library of institution buys access to a journal, over 90% of
the material in that journal will contain material coming from
other institutions, then it subsidizes attention to research
results from other instutions. You don't need a PhD in economics
to see that this makes no economic sense. A rational institution
will pay nothing for research produced elsewhere and will spend
all its efforts to make its results widely available.

> I would be even more interested to hear any ideas for
> mechanisms to facilitate the flow of money away from library
> acquisition budgets to scholarly societies.

Attention as per the previous paragraph comes not only from prime
publication, but can also come from hosting and supporting
aggregates of contents, enabling new peer review tools etc, and
that would be ideally done with scholarly societies.

However, this will not happen because library staff don't have
the required IT skills. That in turn is the failure of library
schools. In my own school I have been trying insist on more
technology courses, but my preachings are falling on death ears.

With cheers from Novosibirsk (cloudy, 20C)

Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                               RePEc:per:1965-06-05:thomas_krichel
phone: +7 383 330 6813                       skype: thomaskrichel