Re: In the news (Georgia State)

It seems to me that what Paul Ginsparg did in one stroke was
separate, or at least begin to separate, the publishing functions
of certification (what Ian addresses) from dissemination.  Prior
to arXiv, these two functions were bound up with each other.  I
am not saying that Ginsparg set out to do this (How would I
know?), but that is the effect of his innovation.  Ian (rightly)
notes that publishers still control the certification function,
but there is another point to be made here, that in some
instances the dissemination and certification functions compete
with each other.

For example, a poorly distributed journal or a journal published
in such a way as to make it difficult for readers to find it
(e.g., not indexed by Google) may nonetheless certify an article
and, by extension, its author; but the author may still yearn for
broader dissemination.  Such an author may, the next time around,
opt for a well-designed open access repository that has been
optimized for search engine indexing and other Internet marketing
techniques, with the hope that open dissemination will ultimately
lead to certification.  We can call this the principle of
certification through acclamation; it is intended to supplant
certification through deliberation.

Publishers that stress the certification function alone are, in
my view, making a very big mistake.  Yes, publishers add enormous
value in the editorial process, more than most authors could ever
bring themselves to admit, but the real game is to stroke an
author's ego through dissemination. In other words, the safe zone
for a publisher is not the editorial fortress of careful
selection, peer review, copy editing, and the like, but the sound
of trumpets declaring that, yes, our magnificent author has
arrived.

The future of toll-access or traditional publishing lies with
marketing.  If an author comes to believe that an open access
service could lead to wider dissemination of his or her work,
publishers should fold their tents and go home, and no amount of
shrewd editorial practices can prevent this.

Joe Esposito