Re: Publisher Proxy Deposit Is A Potential Trojan Horse

>  [Similar considerations, but on a much lesser scale, militate
>  against the strategy of universities out-sourcing the creation
>  and management of their IRs and self-archiving policies to
>  external contractors: accounting, archiving, record-keeping and
>  asset management should surely be kept under direct local control
>  by universities. There's nothing so complicated or daunting about
>  self-archiving and IRs as to require resorting to an external
>  service. (More tentatively, I am also sceptical that library
>  proxy self-archiving rather than direct author self-archiving is
>  a wise choice in the long run -- though it is definitely a useful
>  option as a start-up supplement, if coupled with a mandate, and
>  has been successfully implemented in several cases, including QUT
>  and CERN.)]

Similar considerations militate against the strategy of scholars
and scientists out-sourcing the operating system of their servers
to Microsoft, Apple, or Linux, and against the strategy of
out-sourcing server construction and chip design to Sun and
Intel.  Clearly the preferred solution is for us all to begin
shaking the sand out from between our ears and compacting that
into silicon from which to make our own superior home-crafted
microprocessors.  Direct author self-archiving is a wise choice
in the long run.

Jim O'Donnell
Georgetown