Open Access: a role for the Aggregators

Vendors of aggregated databases and similar services to libraries
have potentially very important roles to play in the transition
to open access.

These roles range from increasing visibility of open access
journals through providing abstracting and indexing, to
supporting OA services such as the Directory of Open Access
Journals, to contributing to the economics of open access and
including the full text content of OA journals in the aggregated
databases.

This could be a win-win-win situation.  OA journals benefit from
enhanced impact and support; vendors can provide expanded
services at little or no additional cost; and libraries can enjoy
more fulltext content in the well-developed searching services we
currently enjoy.

By my calculations, libraries could fund an immense amount of
open access journals, at costs of an average of $1 - $10 per
title.

For details, please see my blogpost, Open Access:  Roles for the
Aggregators:
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com/2008/03/open-access-roles-for-
aggregators.html

Any opinion expressed in this e-mail is that of the author alone,
and does not represent the opinion or policy of BC Electronic
Library Network or Simon Fraser University Library.

Heather Morrison, MLIS
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com