RE: Deposit Mandates as part of Publisher Services

I think it is important to determine if these "offers" mean that
the publisher is absolutely refusing to include language in the
publication contract that will allow the author to deposit in PMC
themselves.  Of course publishers will prefer for authors to
select their author-pays OA service, and authors may choose to do
that for convenience and quicker OA availability.  But some
authors will prefer to retain the right to deposit for
themselves, along with other rights, perhaps.  If these
publishers categorically refuse to negotiate their agreements to
allow self-deposit in PMC, this suggests to me that the NIH needs
to reconsider its reluctance to rely on the government purpose
license.  Otherwise publishers are being allowed to collect a tax
on NIH research by demanding that grant money be spent to
accomplish public access to publicly funded research.

Kevin L. Smith, J.D.
Scholarly Communications Officer
Perkins Library, Duke University
PO Box 90193
Durham, NC  27708
919-668-4451
kevin.l.smith@duke.edu
http://library.duke.edu/blogs/scholcomm/

"Gherman, Paul" <paul.gherman@Vanderbilt.Edu>
Sent by: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu 03/18/2008 09:34 PM

At Vanderbilt, our Medical Library has been doing significant
work contacting publishers to find out what their policy and
procedures are. One discovery is that some of them intend to
charge authors between $900 and $3,000 to submit articles to NIH.
Some will allow for early posting, if the fee is paid.

Paul