Re: Gutenberg-e

I have a great respect for Kate Wittenberg and have followed this
project almost from its inception. When I was writing my 2001
study on Electronic Solutions to the Problems of Monograph
Publishing (now most easily found at
http://www.publishing.ucl.ac.uk/papers/2001Watkinson.pdf) I did
comment on the concept doubted that in its entirety it could ever
be financially sustainable.

There are various models for e-only monographs in actuality and
in development and it is probable that they can be as sustainable
as p-only monographs and as acceptable to the community - at
least that is my impression and indeed hope.

However, what I think of as the Darnton project is set out in his
description on the AHA site (see
http://www.historians.org/prizes/gutenberg/rdarnton2.cfm). He
writes there that, as well as being conventional monographs and
indeed available in print form, there is the extra dimension:

"But at other levels, the e-books will contain material that
could never be conveyed by print: extensive documentation,
hyperlinks to supplementary secondary literature, recordings,
images, music, and historiographical and methodological
discussions. The possibilities are endless, but the execution of
the work must be of the highest quality."

Is this project sustainable and could Kate tell us?  I have no
problems at all in sustainability being a result of a decision of
the Academy to subsidise such a project on a long term basis but
someone in the end has to pay.

Anthony Watkinson