Ejournals and ILL

Mr. Menefee,

I appreciate your clarification of Elsevier's ScienceDirect ILL
policy. I wonder if you would explain the rationale behind
forbidding the download and transmission of the electronic
version while allowing scanning from print into Ariel and similar
secure transmission modes.  (I'll be contacting you off-list
about why we were asked to sign an outdated license in October
2007.)

Perhaps a representative from MIT Press, the other publisher I
quoted, would weigh in to explain the rationale behind their
ejournal-ILL policy.

Beth Jacoby
Collection Development Librarian
Schmidt Library