ejournals and ILL

First, I want to assure you that the license you received was
current when you received it in October, 2007.  Certain changes
to the template were made in December and do not affect the ILL
clause other than to include book chapters and make certain
terminology changes (e.g. eliminating the term Excerpt).  We will
be happy to work with you to incorporate the new language.

As to why we require printing first (and our understanding is
that most publishers also do this), the reasons are fairly
simple.  First, this is most closely analogous to the traditional
and well-understood practices of print, where one photocopies or
scans the print.  What is received by the requester is about the
same quality copy.

Second, we are concerned about those within the ILL community who
advocate an unmediated system, where requesters enter their
requests electronically and these requests are automatically
routed electronically to a library holding the material.  The
article can be retrieved and returned to the requester without
the need for human intervention.  While we can appreciate the
efficiency of such a system, it effectively changes the
definition of Authorized User in our agreement from those within
the subscribing institution to anyone anywhere in the world.

Daviess Menefee
Library Relations
Elsevier