Re: Brantley blog post

Peter Brantley's piece is indeed interesting, and I wonder why it
did not appear among his normal and distinguished postings on
O'Reilly Radar. Joe's phrase may be a misrepresentation of
Brantley's concern. Its not so much that a
Google/Publisher/Author settlement may amount to "Google will
sell out the libraries". The real issue here is the public
interest in Open Access for which libraries, librarians, are
generally, or often, but not always the most reliable advocate.
It is very noticeable that there is a growing concern in the
library community that some libraries may have missed their
calling by aligning too much of their efforts and their long term
mission with Google's digitisation projects.

Its also important that some very serious publishers are showing
a very proper concern with the benefits of an information
commons, a larger and freer commons, with Open Access, with
reusable and repurposable content etc. In the end authors and
publishers, scholarship and creative literature will be the
losers if a Google Book Search settlement leads to bureaucratic
and overly institutional restrictions on the reuse of digital
text. I will be very surprised if the case is settled by the
parties agreeing to a new type of collective licensing
arrangement for orphan copyrights, a Google funded collective
payments system that monitors and obscures a lot of literature in
libraries (this is I suspect what worries Brantley). But if that
is the way things go, the libraries, especially Google's
partners, will surely join in the "sell out".

Adam