From: "adam hodgkin" <adam.hodgkin@gmail.com>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 6:27 PM
Subject: Re: Brantley blog post

Peter Brantley's piece is indeed interesting, and I wonder why it did not appear among his normal and distinguished postings on O'Reilly Radar. Joe's phrase may be a misrepresentation of Brantley's concern. Its not so much that a Google/Publisher/Author settlement may amount to "Google will sell out the libraries". The real issue here is the public interest in Open Access for which libraries, librarians, are generally, or often, but not always the most reliable advocate. It is very noticeable that there is a growing concern in the library community that some libraries may have missed their calling by aligning too much of their efforts and their long term mission with Google's digitisation projects.

Its also important that some very serious publishers are showing a very proper concern with the benefits of an information commons, a larger and freer commons, with Open Access, with reusable and repurposable content etc. In the end authors and publishers, scholarship and creative literature will be the losers if a Google Book Search settlement leads to bureaucratic and overly institutional restrictions on the reuse of digital text. I will be very surprised if the case is settled by the parties agreeing to a new type of collective licensing arrangement for orphan copyrights, a Google funded collective payments system that monitors and obscures a lot of literature in libraries (this is I suspect what worries Brantley). But if that is the way things go, the libraries, especially Google's partners, will surely join in the "sell out".

Adam