AAAS and JSTOR resolution

I am pleased to report to the readers of liblicense-l that the
following announcement is being made today:

-----

AAAS and JSTOR are pleased to announce that we have concluded an
ongoing discussion and have been able to reach an agreement to
continue what has been a very productive relationship between
JSTOR and the journal Science.

-----

As an advocate on this issue with AAAS, I want to give public
credit and praise to AAAS and its CEO, Alan Leshner, for this
decision. It says a great deal about Mr. Leshner and the
Association that he/they would reconsider and ultimately overturn
a decision that had been publicly announced. Mr. Leshner's
actions on behalf of the Association show true leadership,
administrative courage, and clearly demonstrate that he values
the progress and priorities of the Association and its membership
over any other concerns. My respect and regard is not based on
just a successful (in my opinion) outcome of this issue.
Throughout this process and my advocacy with the Association, I
was always treated with respect for my professional disagreement
and never anger or rejection.

In my initial posting to this listserv, I encouraged individuals
to write a letter to AAAS and Mr. Leshner (or the AAAS Board
Chair, John Holdren) on the decision to withdraw and express your
concern and disagreement. If you did write a letter, I would ask
that you take some time and write a second formal letter
expressing your thanks and regard for their reconsideration.

Thank you and thanks to AAAS!

-- David Carlson, Dean
Library Affairs
Southern Illinois University, Carbondale