SCIENCE rejoins JSTOR

Dear All -- REALLY good news -- So many consortia and libraries
joined to ask Science to reconsider their decision, and it has
happened.

Great thanks to AAAS and Science for this re-consideration and a
decision that's an all around win-win.

Happy 2008 to all, Ann Okerson/Moderator

***

CHRONICLE OF HIGHER EDUCATION
News Blog

Recent Posts
The Journal SCIENCE Rejoins JSTOR

The influential journal Science has reversed course and rejoined
JSTOR, The Chronicle has learned. The journal and the popular
online archive of scholarly publications reached an agreement
this morning, said a spokesperson for Science. The journal's
decision to withdraw last summer was the subject of much
criticism by librarians and others.

Neither Science nor JSTOR would describe the terms of the new
license, but Alan I. Leshner, chief executive officer of the
American Association for the Advancement of Science, which
publishes the journal, said the changes had to do with price and
with linking of articles within JSTOR to other articles. "We're
very pleased about it," he said.

Michael P. Spinella, executive director of JSTOR, echoed Mr.
Leshner's cheer. "I think it's very good for everyone," he said.

By Lila Guterman, Chronicle of Higher Education

***