Re: citations as indicators of quality

Sandy Thatcher said:

   "It begins by noting one fundamental flaw in any citation
analysis by quoting another author thus: 'if [Journal X]
published an execrable paper that attracted a million critical
citations as an example of appalling practice, all other papers
previously and later published in that journal would suddenly be
much more highly ranked.'"

   This reminds me of something I asked about a couple of years
ago in another forum...

   Most of the citation analysis studies I see nowadays involve
quantitative analyses for the most part. Just wondering if many
people are into studying citations from a qualitative standpoint?
For example, in a lot of studies a citation is a citation is a
citation, with little concern for how a given paper was cited
qualitatively within the context of the citing paper. For
example, an author could cite a paper very positively, or the
citation could be pretty much value-neutral, or, as Sandy notes,
the citation could be negative. But in a quantitative analysis
these various types of citations pretty much all carry the same
weight.

   When I looked into this several years ago, a number of people
alerted me to some qualitative citation studies. The interesting
thing is that most of these studies were maybe 20 years old, at
least. It almost seemed like people got away from doing
qualitative citation analyses as it got easier to do quantitative
analyses, i.e., as databases such as the ISI indices became
available in electronic form.

   Anyway, I am interested in hearing about relatively recent
qualitative citation analysis.

   Thanks,

   Bernie Sloan