From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of B.G. Sloan
Sent: 20 November 2007 15:49
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: citations as indicators of quality

Sandy Thatcher said:

    "It begins by noting one fundamental flaw in any citation analysis by
quoting another author thus: 'if [Journal X] published an execrable
paper that attracted a million critical citations as an example of
appalling practice, all other papers previously and later published in
that journal would suddenly be much more highly ranked.'"

    This reminds me of something I asked about a couple of years ago in
another forum...

    Most of the citation analysis studies I see nowadays involve
quantitative analyses for the most part. Just wondering if many people
are into studying citations from a qualitative standpoint?
For example, in a lot of studies a citation is a citation is a citation,
with little concern for how a given paper was cited qualitatively within
the context of the citing paper. For example, an author could cite a
paper very positively, or the citation could be pretty much
value-neutral, or, as Sandy notes, the citation could be negative. But
in a quantitative analysis these various types of citations pretty much
all carry the same weight.

    When I looked into this several years ago, a number of people alerted
me to some qualitative citation studies. The interesting thing is that
most of these studies were maybe 20 years old, at least. It almost
seemed like people got away from doing qualitative citation analyses as
it got easier to do quantitative analyses, i.e., as databases such as
the ISI indices became available in electronic form.

    Anyway, I am interested in hearing about relatively recent
qualitative citation analysis.

    Thanks,

    Bernie Sloan