RE: NIH Public Access Mandate Passes Senate

The deposit would be of the "author's final manuscript" of a
paper that has been accepted for publication.  In essence, this
language authorizes NIH to make the current voluntary policy a
mandatory one.  Details of the current policy are here:
http://publicaccess.nih.gov/.  In general, "author's final
manuscript" is understood to be the author's version of the paper
that has been accepted, with all of the corrections/changes
necessitated by peer review, but not necessarily with any
copy-editing changes.

As to the liklihood of the president signing this bill (Rick's
question), my guess (and it's all just a matter of guessing at
the moment) is that the odds right now are slim.  We'll see if
the conference committee can put together a bill that satisfies
the White House, but I'm not particularly optimistic. (There's
also a slim chance that the NIH provision could be yanked out
during conference, although that appears to be pretty unlikely).

Scott

T. Scott Plutchak

Director, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
tscott@uab.edu