Re: Publishing trade associations on rules for Orphan Works

I have the growing suspicion that the Publisher's Trade
Associations really have lost the plot on what is needed for
publishing in a digital environment. This is not quite as bad as
the Prism fiasco, but it leaves the impression that the Trade
Associations are taking a very blinkered and narrow view of their
remit and of the needs of *publishers* (never mind the needs of
authors, readers, teachers and students).

First it would have been very helpful if this email had contained
a direct link to the draft. A small point, but really very
important especially in posting to this list. The ALPSP site
suggests that the draft is available for 'members', but I was
able to read and download it straightforwardly. Its here:

http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/article.asp?id=1&did=47&aid=1124&st=&oaid=-1

I have no interest in using, fostering or 'reviving' orphan
copyrights, but if I did, this set of safe harbour guidelines
would seem to be more like a cumbersome collection of red flags
and keep off notices than any form of reassurance or insurance.
Will it actually encourage or permit any useful and valuable
secondary publication efforts? We shall see.

A constructive view of these issues should involve all the
important stakeholders and it is not clear from this draft that
these publishers have seriously consulted and considered these
issues in collaboration with the authors, the researchers and the
educators whom they purport to serve, and whose copyrights they
custode.

Adam