Sent: 18 August 2007 20:29
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Fair-Use/Schmair-Use...

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Sandy Thatcher wrote:

> If there is anything fundamental to "fair use," both in legal
> and even common sense terms, it is that a request for
> permission is NOT part of the process. But the "Fair-Use
> Button" is explicitly set up as a process for requesting
> permission from a potential user to the author.

No, Sandy, it is not set up as a process for requesting
permission. It is set up as a process for requesting a copy (from
the author). And both the author providing that copy and the
requester using it are Fair Use.

> How this is "transparent" and "not tortured" is beyond me. It
> perverts the whole concept of fair use.

It provides access to papers that have been deposited as Closed
Access, because of a publisher embargo, instead of being
deposited immediately as Open Access.

Why you are finding this so difficult to understand is anything
but transparent to me!

> Stevan, your stubborn adherence to this terminology IS
> potentially confusing, and it has nothing to do with the
> "papyrocentric" environment in which the concept was originally
> applied. In the online universe as well, "fair use" and asking
> permission are mutually exclusive. If there is anything
> "incoherent" going on here, it is your persistence in using a
> legal term to denote a process that is the exact opposite of
> what it is meant to denote.

We evidently disagree on this, Sandy. But more than that, even
after all these iterations it is clear that you have not
understood what the Fair Use Button does, and what it is for.

If your difficulty grasping what the Button is about and for were
a representative response on the part of my target community --
journal article authors and users -- then I would certainly go
back to calling the Button the "Request Copy" or "Email Eprint
Request" Button.

But I suspect that the reason you keep systematically
misunderstanding it is that there is a conflict of interest: You
do not *want* it to be true that users asking for and authors
providing eprints is feasible and fair use, because you are
worried about what that would imply for books:

Well don't worry: Unlike research journal article authors, book
authors are not in general interested in giving away their books
for free, otherwise they would not bother to publish them at all
(since books are not peer reviewed): They'd simply put them on
the web for free, without needing to ask anyone's permission, nor
doing the extra keystroke for each copy requested!

To repeat: It is Fair Use for an author to provide an individual
paper reprint or a digital eprint to an individual requester if
he wishes. And it is Fair Use for the requester to read and print
off and use that eprint. So the Fair Use button is Fair use on
both ends. And no one is requesting or providing *permission*.
They are requesting and providing a (digital) *copy*.

Chrs,

Stevan Harnad