From: Laura Young Bost [mailto:laura@utpress.ppb.utexas.edu]
Sent: 20 August 2007 13:47
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Fair-Use/Schmair-Use...

Perhaps we could take this discussion in a slightly different
direction.

I believe Stevan said he originally called the "button" the
"eprint reprint button" (or something like that). But that didn't
seem to him to really describe to potential users the
functionality he envisioned for it, or it wasn't getting enough
attention and/or use with that designation.

So he renamed it the "fair use button" which by all legal
definitions it is not. Although it sounds good, it does not
actually describe the usage.

What if he called it the "free access" button?

That seems to me to be the actual use he wants potential users
(both authors and requesters) to understand. It would be clear
that authors would give any requester a free copy of the
article--isn't that how he has been describing what the "button"
does?

Laura Young Bost, Rights Manager
University of Texas Press
P.O. Box 7819, Austin, TX 78713-7819