Re: Fair-Use/Schmair-Use...

I for one am in agreement 100% with Sandy Thatcher on this.  We already are suffering confusion because of the ill-advised decision to use terms like "self-archiving" and "open archive," both of which have nothing to do with archives or the permanent retention of knowledge. Now we have proposal to use the term "fair use" in a manner that has nothing to with either the American concept of "fair use or the British concept of fair dealing. Harnard's proposal would just further obfuscate what is meant by both.  Further, using the term suggests a specific legal basis for the action, when in reality the actions may be authorized by license. Schmair use it is... Peter B. Hirtle CUL Intellectual Property Officer Technology Strategist Cornell University