Re: Library subscription rebates for Open Choice content

Ann Okerson wrote:

Dear Readers: Various of our journal contracts now state that where authors pay for Open Choice (or something like it, i.e., cover costs of publication of their articles to be free to all readers worldwide), library subscriptions will be rebated for the equivalent.

Questions:

1. How do you all imagine this will work in real life?

2. Has it happened already, i.e., has Open Choice or Author Choice or whatever, been around for long enough? Or, will it happen as of 2008 and if so, what are publishers preparing to do to adjust 2008 subscriptions?

Comment:

This is wonderful news, Ann, I am very glad to hear that journal contracts are now addressing Open Choice!

If librarians are wondering why it would make sense to have contracts covering both subscriptions and Open Choice, the recent news release from APA on their Open Choice program, posted to Liblicense, may be instructive.

Excerpt:

The plan goes into effect after several years of experimentation with the APS journal Physiological Genomics. During a three year period,APS offered authors the choice of whether to pay an open access fee plus standard author charges. At the end of the test period, 18 percent of authors opted for open access. (Full post at http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/ListArchives/0707/ msg00015.html)

If 18% of the content of a journal is being paid for through open choice options, it makes sense for libraries to seek an average decrease in subscription rates of about 18%. There could also be good reasons why the institutions producing the research which are paying for the open choice (whether paying themselves, or indirectly through research grants) to be the greatest beneficiaries.

Savvy administrators of such institutions will be looking for opportunities to leverage the article processing fee payments to offset subscription costs. Fellow librarians, if we want to be positioned for the future, we want to be the coordinating organization within our university for article processing fee payments - regardless of whether they are paid for from library budgets, or other sources such as departmental funds or research grants.

When a number of payments go from one institution to another, there are efficiencies in coordination (one quarterly or annual payment, rather than many one-off payments). These efficiencies apply to both payer and payee. BioMedCentral recognizes this, and already has this worked into their library membership model.

Any opinion expressed in this e-mail is that of the author alone, and does not reflect the opinion or policy of BC Electronic Library Network or Simon Fraser University Library.

Heather Morrison, MLIS
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com