Re: Maximising research access vs. minimizing copy-editingerrors

I will summarize what I think are the key lessons of my group's paper, read in
connection with the Blackwell paper:

1/ Publishers' preparation of journal articles generally increases readability

2/ Publishers often but not always correct small errors, but occasionally
introduce new ones, some of which are important.  The accuracy of the
publishing process is not 100%.

3/ Significant errors are most frequent in connection with tables and figure
legends.

4/ Neither we nor anyone have ever seen a truly substantial  error affecting
validity of the work left uncorrected in an author manuscript but corrected in
the published paper.

4a/ Reported numerical values and units in author manuscripts can be trusted.

5/ Faculty websites are an unreliable place for copies of research papers, even
in the short run. (almost half of the locations were moved and unlinked after
18 months)

I consider none of these results the least surprising.

There is one policy implication from this: publishers are  important but not
essential.  I don't consider this the least surprising either.

None of this affects the need--or lack or if--for peer review.
None of this affects the need--or lack of it--for open access.
>From other arguments, we need both.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
previously:
Bibliographer and Research Librarian