RE: Correction (RE: Thatcher vs. Harnad)

David,

There are many things to be said about this, but I'd like to pick out
one thing you say that may easily lead to misunderstandings. You include
in costs to sustain a journal "the costs of authors writing their
papers". Presuming you're mainly talking about primary research
journals, and not journals that publish mainly commissioned review
articles, that surely is not a cost that should be taken into account.
Research authors are, in contrast to journalists or professional science
writers, *not* providing services to journals, but journals are
providing services to research authors. They need to publish in
peer-reviewed journals in order to satisfy the demands of their
profession. Publish or perish, remember?

By including "the costs of authors writing their papers" (costs not
reimbursed), you are in danger of repeating the oft-given, but
erroneous, impression that authors 'give away' their articles. Jolly
philanthropical of them, but they don't need journals if they want to
'give away'; they can just put their writings on a blog or in a
repository. The reality is that they want to publish in journals not
because they want to give away anything, but because they want to obtain
something: the professional credibility that comes with a formal
publication in a peer-reviewed journal.

If one wants journals to be able to provide that professional
credibility, then the efforts and costs those journals need to make to
do so, need to be properly funded. In an area mainly driven by readers
who clamour to see the research (a 'read-or-rot' area), subscriptions
make sense; in an area mainly driven by the need to publish (a
'publish-or-perish' area, arguably the most common in science), article
processing charges for open access publishing makes sense; and in an
area mainly driven by political or other overarching societal concerns
('fly-or-flounder'?), direct subsidies make sense.

Jan Velterop