Re: Correction (RE: Thatcher vs. Harnad)

If peer review is the way to filter information then where does
this leave the repositories - will they simply become so much
noise in the information environment, their content lacking the
credibility of the journal because they have no peer review
system? (i.e. only the journal articles within them have
credibility?) I am sure there will be content of some worth
within them that has not been published in a journal - so how can
this be assessed?

Unfortunately peer review is also terribly flawed -
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/287/21/2784 and
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/293/5538/2187a but
is the best system we have at present. Post-publication comments
only seem to work well in certain disciplines (perhaps the ones
where people have more time!)

Time constraints require some "barriers" (probably not the best
term) to provide pre-selected lists to make research more
efficient - what is required is not a barrier to publish, but a
barrier to be selected as quality.

Pippa Smart
Research Communication and Publishing Consultant
Tel: +44 1865 864255
Mob: +44 7775 627688
Skype: pippasmart
pippa.smart@googlemail.com