Re: potential positive spiral in transition to open access

"The commercial-STM-ghetto"? Even the incendiary Richard Smith
would not, I hope, be so thoughtless as to compare STM publishers
with the Judengasse. Equating STM publishers and the brutal
confinement of Jews over the centuries leading to the Nazi era
is, to put it mildly, grossly offensive.

In any case, it will be very interesting to see whether your
proposed growth of non-STM OA publishing will be sustained. Right
now, "spasmodic" is an accurate term to describe much of the OA
STM publishing world. That might be perfectly adequate--many of
the journals in the DOAJ are of regional or local interest, and
there may be no need for regular publication.

If the emphasis as been on STM, it is because that has been the
focus of public policy on both sides of the Atlantic. In the US,
OA has been sold on Capitol Hill as a kind of alchemy which can
somehow overcome the disastrously anemic state of NIH funding
(for which, thanks to Mr. Bush's and Mr. Blair's very costly
little adventure, no solution is in sight.)

Peter Banks
Banks Publishing
Publications Consulting and Services
pbanks@bankspub.com