RE: potential positive spiral in transition to open access

Sally,

Something which seems to be missing from the article cited is a
comparison with subscription journals. Clearly, there is turnover
of subscription journals just as there is turnover of open access
journals. Every year, some number of new subscription journals
are launched, while a significant number cease publication.

I don't know whether the ratio of the number of launches to the
number of closures is any different between subscription journals
vs OA titles, but in principle, that could be measured.

On the other hand, it still wouldn't prove a great deal.

E.g. The fact that a large fraction of internet ecommerce
startups failed is not an indication that ecommerce is
unimportant or uneconomic. What's more important is the scale and
significance of those that succeed. Ditto with OA journals.

Matt