Re: Correction (RE: Thatcher vs. Harnad)

I completely endorse what Joe says about lack of time and a need to filter information. Both conventional Online publication and various OA developments are doing precisely the opposite of this - multiple versions, on multiple platforms, of both high- and low-quality information. (conventional publishing is frequently removing barriers to publishing through the frequent launch of new titles)

One of the effects of web development is an increasing number of people "talking" and a reduced number of people "listening". People have less time to listen, but seem to always have time to talk! However, in a scholarly environment there is the fear that gems of information are never disseminated because the mainstream considers them unimportant. (e.g. the lack of articles on tropical diseases.)

If the volume of information ("people talking") continues to grow, and increasing numbers of repositories duplicate the content from journals (and/or provide different versions), then I think we are stuck with an increasing volume of information - so the question that I predict will be the "hot topic" in the future will be how information gets filtered. At the moment we rely on journals and ISI, plus the occasional service such as the "Faculty of 1000" from BioMedCentral - I thinkthat serivces like "Faculty of 1000" will continue to grow and may become the journals of the future - ? (ie publish then select)

Pippa Smart
Research Communication and Publishing Consultant
3 Park Lane, Appleton, Oxon OX13 5JT,UK
Tel: +44 1865 864255
Mob: +44 7775 627688
Skype: pippasmart