RE: Self-Archiving and Journal Subscriptions: Critique of PRC

What this seems to amount to (sorry, David) is that there is no
evidence whatsoever for David's claim (and my hunch) that
nonprofits have lower costs or even lower profits.  Some have
even suggested to me that it is the reverse (though that wasn't
what I meant to say originally).  Don King has pointed out (see
his article at http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1087/174148507X183551) that,
counter-intuitively, the percentage of overheads does not
continue to fall as the size of the business increases - in his
experience, beyond a certain point overheads actually rise as a
percentage.

It has also been pointed out to me that some nonprofits do very
well by themselves with high salaries, luxurious premises and
lavish works of art (not that this sounds like all the societies
I know, but there are certainly some - and some funders too, I
might add!)

Sally
Publishing Research Consortium
Email:  info@publishingresearch.net