ONIX for Serials Coverage statement/SOH 1.1 now

EDItEUR has made the ONIX for Serials Coverage statement and SOH
v. 1.1 available as drafts for review and piloting on the EDItEUR
website.  Originally we had planned to distribute these documents
to the JWP groups first, but it seemed simpler to put them on the
website where they can be seen easily by all.

The Coverage overview and schema can be reviewed at
http://www.editeur.org/onixserials/ONIX_Coverage09.html. Coverage
is an XML structure capable of carrying simple or complex
statements of holdings of serial resources.  The Coverage
Statement is not a message format in itself, but rather a
structure that is included in other ONIX for Serials formats.
The Coverage Statement may also be used to express holdings or
coverage in XML structures other than those specified in ONIX for
Serials.  Coverage allows the expression of more complex holdings
than the <JournalIssue> and <Embargo> composites currently found
in the SOH and SPS formats.  Among other things, it allows for
the expression of "moving starts" (aka "rolling starts") and
supplement enumeration and chronology.

We have also issued a new release of the SOH format, which makes
use of the ONIX for Serials Coverage statement.  The overview and
schema can be reviewed at
http://www.editeur.org/onixserials/ONIX_SOH1.1.html.

Please note that SOH release 1.1 allows the expression of
holdings through the use of either the old-style <JournalIssue>
and <Embargo> composites or the new <Coverage> composite within
any given <OnlinePackage> composite.  However, the use of the
old-style composites is discouraged, because in future releases
of the SOH format, they may eventually be deleted.  Users who
have implemented Release 1.0 are assured that all existing
elements will continue to be supported in their present form for
the foreseeable future, and releases will continue to be numbered
1.n to indicate that full backwards compatibility is maintained.
When the new Coverage elements have been thoroughly proven and
accepted, it is possible that the existing JournalIssue and
Embargo composites may be phased out as part of Release 2.0, but
this step will only be taken after due consultation with users.
New users, however, are encouraged if possible to use the
Coverage composite.

We invite comments and review on both of these formats through
September, 2007, at which time they will no longer be considered
drafts.  And of course we welcome any efforts to pilot Coverage
and SOH 1.1.  Please send comments to brian@bic.org.uk.

We are sending press releases to liblicense-l, SERIALST, UKSG and
NISO Newsline announcing the availability of these formats.

Many thanks to the members of Coverage group, chaired by Nathan
Robertson, for their efforts in making Coverage possible.

Yours,
Kathy Klemperer
for EDItEUR

Katharina Klemperer, MLS
Library and Information Systems Consulting
37 Minuteman Rd.
Acton, MA 01720 USA
office: 978-266-1776
mobile: 978-590-6021