RE: Publication, Access Provision, and Fair Use

> The jury is still out on whether self-archiving (of whatever
> version) will actually turn out to damage journals -

I can't claim to speak for all libraries, but I can certainly say
that at my library, there is no way we could justify an ongoing
subscription to a journal the entire, fully edited contents of
which are available online at no charge.

Actually, no, I'll go further than that: no fiscally responsible
library could do so.  While I can imagine rare exceptions in the
cases of specific journals that might be needed in print,
generally speaking there is simply no way to justify the
investment of library funds (especially from public coffers!) in
the purchase of content that is free to the public.

Preprints are a different matter; I can see maintaining a paid
subscription if that's the only way to get prompt access to the
fully-edited versions.  Even there, though, it would be a
difficult decision and would depend largely on both the
subscription price and the embargo period.

---
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition
University of Nevada, Reno Libraries