RE: Publication, Access Provision, and Fair Use

I'm uncomfortable with Stevan's use of 'reasonable/unreasonable'.
Is it 'unreasonable' to be concerned about the future of your
business?

Publishers are juggling two concerns - to satisfy their authors'
perfectly proper wish to disseminate their work as soon as
possible (as well as - arguably - more widely) and to ensure that
they don't damage their business at the same time.

I think Stevan and others accept that allowing posting of the
publisher's edited version may be too risky to subscriptions;
but Beckett & Inger's study
(http://www.publishingresearch.net/self_archiving.htm), unlike
Ware's
(http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/article.asp?id=200&did=47&aid=157&st=&oaid=-1), suggests that the difference between the two versions may
not be significant to librarians in terms of likelihood of
cancellation.

The jury is still out on whether self-archiving (of whatever
version) will actually turn out to damage journals - but by the
time it has done so, if it does, it will be too late to turn the
clock back/put the milk back in the bottle/put Humpty together
again.

I would therefore prefer to use neutral language about either policy

Sally Morris
Consultant, Morris Associates (Publishing Consultancy)