RE: OA Mandates, Embargoes, and the "Fair Use" Button

As far as UK law is concerned I think this statement is only
partly true. For example, under UK law only the copyright owner
can authorise reproduction/copying if the copying is for
commercial purposes. In my own view the actual position is more
likely to be as follows:

  - under UK law copying by anyone other than the copyright owner
under the 1988 Act must generally be for research or private
study, for non-commercial purposes. This point must always be
kept in mind. It follows on important changes to UK copyright law
in 2003.

  - where physical copies of reprints are concerned, then an
author who receives physical reprints can give them to anyone
that he/she wants for any purpose.

  - where distribution of "reprints" is by some digital format
then only the owner of copyright in the reprint (who may not be
the author) can authorise the copying and distribution IF it is
for commercial purposes. This would, I think, prevent an author
who has assigned copyright from making or authorising the copying
and sending of an item to someone IF the intended use is for
commercial purposes (e.g. an author, who is not the copyright
owner, could not send the published version to someone working in
a pharmaceutical company's research laboratory). However, arcane
this may seem, it is (in my view) the legal position.

Charles, I believe, is referring to section 29(3) of the
Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988. That section permits one
person to copy something on behalf on someone else in certain
circumstances - and as long as it is for research or private
study for non-commercial purposes.

Laurence

Laurence W. Bebbington
Team Leader (Law)/IS Copyright Officer