Re: Merton and the norms of science

Robert Merton's norms of science (Universalism, Communality, Disinterestedness, and Organized Scepticism) are alive and well in scientific communities and should not be written off as ignoring scholarly behavior, as per Michael Mabe's response. A further reading of Merton's later works describe the personal nature of science and the conflicts between impersonal norms (e.g. universalism) with personal norms (e.g. secrecy). Ian Mitroff puts these norms and counter-norms together in a wonderful piece that interviews lunar scientists during the course of the Apollo missions. Its a must-read for anyone studying the sociology of science (including scientometrics) and helps place scientific communication in perspective.

"For if science were also exclusively founded on the norms of disinterestedness, universalism, and community, I doubt science could have arisen as we know it. The point is that each norm is restrained and if any were unrestrained, science would probably collapse." (p.593)

Mitroff, I. I. (1974). Norms and Counter-Norms in a Select Group of the Apollo Moon Scientists: A Case Study of the Ambivalence of Scientists. American Sociological Review, 39, 579-595.

--Phil Davis