Re: Self-Archiving and Journal Subscriptions: Critique of PRC Study

Research universities do not exist for their own
self-aggrandizement. Even for their beneficial effect upon their
students is not the primary purpose, although such benefit is
real. They exist in order to promote research, and are directly
and indirectly funded for the purpose. Research is done not
primarily for the benefit to the researcher, although this
benefit is also real. Nor is it done for the benefit of the
institution. It is done for the advancement of basic science and
scholarship, in the expectation that this will bring material and
intellectual benefit to society as a whole.

This has been true from even the beginnings: Lawyers and
physicians and theologians were educated not so they would be
rich, but for the perceived benefit to the security, well being,
and values of the community. Today it is the same: an individual
researcher may work for his personal intellectual satisfaction,
but he is not supported for that end.  Knowledge is attained so
it may be published and used.

The rich institutions are rich so they may have the resources to
do the research, to teach it, and to diffuse it, in the
realisation that progress depends upon no one institution. The
money they have is to be spent for these purposes. The cost for
the effective publication of research is proportional the amount
and quality of the research, and the grants and internal funding
used for this can support the publishing as a necessary and in
most fields relatively inexpensive part. From each according to
its ability both to do, and to pay.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
dgoodman@princeton.edu