Craig et al.'s review of the OA citation advantage

                     ** Cross-Posted **

     Craig, Ian; Andrew Plume, Marie McVeigh, James Pringle & Mayur
     Amin (2007) Do Open Access Articles Have Greater Citation Impact?
     A critical review of the literature. Journal of Informetrics.
     http://www.publishingresearch.net/Citations-SummaryPaper3_000.pdf.pdf

I've read Craig et al.'s critical review ("proposed by the
Publishing Research Consortium") concerning the OA citation
Impact effect and will shortly write a short, mild review. But
first here is a commentary from Bruce Royan, followed by a few
remarks from me. -- Stevan Harnad

It is notoriously tricky (at least since David Hume) to "prove"
causality empirically. The thrust of the Craig et al. critique is
that despite the fact that virtually all studies comparing the
citation counts for OA and non-OA articles keep finding the OA
citation counts to be higher, it has not been proven beyond a
reasonable doubt that the relationship is causal.

I agree: It is merely highly probable, not proven beyond a
reasonable doubt, that articles are more cited because they are
OA, rather than OA merely because they are more cited (or both OA
and more cited merely because of a third factor).

And I also agree that not one of the studies done so far is
without some methodological flaw that could be corrected.

But it is also highly probable that the results of the
methodologically flawless versions of all those studies will be
much the same as the results of the current studies. That's what
happens when you have a robust major effect, detected by
virtually every study, and only ad hoc methodological cavils and
special pleading to rebut each of them with.

But I am sure those methodological flaws will not be corrected by
these authors, because -- OJ Simpson's "Dream Team" of Defense
Attorneys comes to mind -- Craig et al's only interest is
evidently in finding flaws and alternative explanations, not in
finding out the truth -- if it goes against their client's
interests...

   Iain D.Craig: Wiley-Blackwell
   Andrew M.Plume, Mayur Amin: Elsevier
   Marie E.McVeigh, James Pringle: Thomson Scientific

Here is a preview of my rebuttal. It is mostly just common sense,
if one has no conflict of interest, hence no reason for special
pleading and strained interpretations:

(1) Research quality is a necessary, but not a sufficient
condition for citation impact: The research must also be
accessible to be cited.

(2) Research accessibility is a necessary but not a sufficient
condition for citation impact: The research must also be of
sufficient quality to be cited.

(3) The OA impact effect is the finding that an article's
citation counts are positively correlated with the probability
that that article has been made OA: The more an article's
citations, the more likely that that article has been made OA.

(4) This correlation has at least three causal interpretations:

     (4a) OA articles are more likely to be cited.

     (4b) More-cited articles are more likely to be made OA.

     (4c) A third factor makes it more likely that some articles will be
     both made OA and more cited.

(5) Each of these causal interpretations is correct, and hence a
contributor to the OA impact effect:

     (5a) The better the article, the more likely it is to be cited,
     hence the more citations it gains if it is made more accessible
     (3a). (OA Article Quality Advantage, QA)

     (5b) The better the article, the more likely it is to be made OA
     (3b). (OA Article Quality Bias, QB)

     (5c) 10% of articles (and authors) receive 90% of citations. The
     authors of the better articles know they are better, and hence are
     more likely both to be cited and to make their articles OA, so as
     to maximize their visibility, accessibility and citations (3c). (OA
     Author QB and QA)

(6) In addition to QB and QA, there is an OA Early Access effect (EA):
providing access earlier increases citations.

(7) The OA citation studies have not yet isolated and estimated the
relative sizes of each of these (and other) contributing components
(OA also increases downloads, and downloads are correlated with later
citations).

(8) But the handwriting is on the wall as to the benefits of making
articles OA, for those with eyes to see, and no conflicting interests
to blind them.

I do agree completely, however, with erstwhile Princetonian Bob May's call
for "an evidence-based approach to the scholarly communications debate."

Stevan Harnad
http://www.princeton.edu/~harnad/