RE: Self-Archiving and Journal Subscriptions: Critique of PRC Stud=

Library budgets come from specific budgets within each
university. It certainly does not come from grant money and when
universities manage to extract overhead from research grants - a
practice which is not universal by the way - that money does not
go into the library budget. If some of overhead money ends up in
library budgets, this is not through a direct path. Even at the
government level, money for university budgets does notalways
come from the same ministries. For example, in Canada, research
grants come from research councils that report to Industry Canada
- a Federal ministry. University budgets, on the other hand,
(including libraries) come from ministries of education that
belong to provincial governments.

In France, libraries report to the ministry of culture while
universities report to some variation of the education nationale.
Local agreements, campus by campus, allow some degree of
coordination between the libraries and the universities, but it
is rarely perfect and many research units prefer to build their
own documentation centre. There again, various sources of money
are involved. And although it is all public money, it does not
come from one single source.

Yes, a "joined-up" approach would be more rational, but many
obstacles lie in the path of this vision and these obstacles are
country-specific.

As a result, no one can make a general, sweepingg, statement that
gold OA would remove money from research. It all depends on how
the money is parcelled out.

Jean-Claude Guedon