Re: Yes, it's time (RE: Is it time to stop printing journals?)

I doubt consumer publishers would be surprised by how quickly the change has taken place. I doubt anything surprises a consumer publisher any more. The spend their mornings reading the NYTimes online, turning first to the obituaries of the music business.

Insofar as consumer magazine publishers repurpose content for library sales (often through aggregators such as Gale and EBSCO), they are not acting in their capacity of consumer publishers, by definition. In their core consumer markets the switch to fully digital editions is problematic because the advertising revenue, which drives the business, does not follow. And when the advertising does move online, it doesn't necessarily go to the online magazines.

This, the problematic career of advertising dollars, is in part because Google is the snake that eats its own tail. An advertiser can choose to advertise on a target site (e.g., Time magazine online) or it can advertise by purchasing search engine keywords, thus advertising on the index rather than the target content. There is a paradox here. Google increases traffic to indexed Web sites, but it also takes away the advertising dollars that otherwise may have appeared on those sites. Nor does Google underwrite the creation of the target content. At some point that target content may not be Time or the NY Times but a motley collection of amateur blogs, social networks, and wikis. Now read the breaking news from Iraq, brought to you by your 16-year-old and her cool friends. Students of media will recall the story of Life magazine, beloved by its millions of readers, neglected by advertisers, who migrated to the larger audiences watching "I Love Lucy."

I am not making these comments because I don't love Google, because I do in fact love Google--and am typing this post on Gmail. What I would hope is that everyone concerned with media, from blogs to academic research journals, view digital media as a strange world with its own physics, one awaiting its Einstein. Until someone helps us understand the speed of eyeballs and the curvature of links, water will flow up and tomorrow will come yesterday.

Joe Esposito