RE: Yes, it's time (RE: Is it time to stop printing journals?)

What this thread shows is that different output media suit
different types of publication.  Consumer magazines are
predominantly printed products because of advertising and because
readers use them in all sorts of different situations where print
is simply the best medium for the purpose. And academic libraries
don't figure, because consumer magazines are not designed
primarily for libraries!

What consumer magazine publishers do is provide web sites that
are not facsimiles of the magazine, as are most learned journals
online, but contain different, complementary, content.
Publishers are exploiting the brand represented by the magazine
title to create new material - some free and some paid-for - that
preserves and augments circulation, on which the advertising
revenue is based.

Business-to-business magazine publishers like McGraw-Hill, Reed
Business Information etc, have gone further by creating
subscription-based information services that exploit the magazine
title as a brand, use the journalistic resources of the magazine,
and extend the range and depth of content.  Reed Business
Information has been successful at this, and now one third of its
revenue comes from online publishing, without damaging the
circulations of its print titles.  Now that re-purposing is smart
publishing, that should deliver some lessons about the future of
the learned journal.

John Cox

Managing Director
John Cox Associates Ltd