RE: DRM at SAE Publication Board meeting

According to Randy Reichardt's blog http://stlq.info/ an
anonymous source who attended the World Congress says SAE is
commited to rescinding its DRM policy and to changing its
licencing options to allow for an unrestricted number of
downloaded papers and standards per educational site. Potentially
this could happen within the next few weeks.  While this is good
news, you're right that it still doesn't address some of our
basic license concerns. There's a new guy, Tom Drozda, now
heading up the publications program (he took over in March) so
I'm hoping the news coming out of the World Congress is a sign
that he understands the unique needs of SAE's academic customers
and is going to be more reasonable about license terms.  We have
a conference call scheduled with him soon and certainly intend
pushing on exactly the issues you've identified.  I hope others
are planning to do the same.

Kathleen Folger, Electronic Resources Officer
University of Michigan University Library
209 Hatcher Graduate Library            Email:  kfolger@umich.edu
University of Michigan                  Phone   734.764.9375
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1205               Fax     734.764.0259