RE: Yes, it's time (RE: Is it time to stop printing journals?)

> A rather delayed response to this thread, which I found very
> interesting. It has been leading me to puzzle out why the
> consumer magazine market has not gone in the same direction (at
> least it has not gone there yet

I think it's because consumer magazines are mostly read for
pleasure -- more like books. Scholarly journals (at least in
libraries) are mostly used as big bags of articles that most
users want to interrogate by using search engines rather than
read from cover to cover. Individual researchers may have
particular scholarly journals that they read the way other people
read Rolling Stone or Newsweek, but I think the vast majority of
usage is of a kind for which online access makes much more sense.

---

Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition
Univ. of Nevaa, Reno Libraries