RE: Is it time to stop printing journals?

Rick quite rightly notes that the economics of electronic
resources have flipped some of the dynamics we knew so well in
the print world. Embedded in this flip, however, may be new
opportunities.  Not only can smaller libraries pursue a greater
breadth of electronic collections, but through community-based
archives, such as Portico or other initiatives, they can also
support long-term preservation of critical e-resources by
contributing only a fraction of the total preservation costs.
This opportunity for cost sharing is especially important because
as libraries' electronic collections grow in breadth, local
preservation needs may actually become more rather than less
pressing, regardless of institution size.

>From our early work on the Portico archive we have seen that
libraries from across the spectrum (and around the world) are
willing to contribute to support of a community-based permanent
archive.  This response suggests that libraries - large and small
- believe that action to ensure permanent access to the scholarly
record is just as vital to the teaching and education mission of
their parent institutions as is the provision of current access
to a breadth of materials.  One important benefit of addressing
long-term preservation and access needs in a collaborative manner
is that we avoid placing the full burden and expense on the
shoulders of just a few generous, large institutions.

Eileen Fenton
Executive Director, Portico