Sent: 05 April 2007 01:22
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Is it time to stop printing journals?

Dear All

I have been following these discussions from Turkey for some
time.  The policy we follow at my university is quite straight
forward:

1. Access a journal through a database subscription if the cost
is justifiable. If this is not not viable, 2. subscribe to a
journal online only, if perpetual access rights are granted for
the volumes paid for; --nb. I could not identifiy any journals
which fit to this concept, with the exception of Blackwell titles
so far--. So the third choice is 3. subscribe to both
online+print so that you own what you pay for.

I am surprised that perpetual rights issue has not been
mentioned. If I could get perpetual access rights for online
subscriptions I would not consider getting print subscriptions at
all. I must note that we do not cover life sciences and medicine
where the quality of images come under discussion.

Selma Aslan
TOBB ETU, Ankara, Turkey
http://www.etu.edu.tr