RE: Is it time to stop printing journals?

Following this discussion I would be interested to hear some
experiences from you on the following topic.

One big advantage of the print version of a journal is the fact
that scholars come to the library to see what new issues of the
journals that they are interested in have arrived. They than pick
up these issues and browse through them: scan the table of
contents, look at an index, quickly read through some abstracts,
take a look at the book reviews and so on. This kind of
serendipity browsing is lacking in the e-journals.

I can understand that publishers would be interested to see how
people deal with this in the e-environment, because selling
advertisements is -in my opinion-- strongly related specifically
to this aspect.

Like to hear your comments, suggestions, experiences.

Kind greetings,
Michel Wesseling
Head of Library and IT Services
Institute of Social Studies Den Haag Netherlands