RE: Why Cornell's Institutional Repository Is Near-Empty

Phil is correct in stating that we must find a way to adequately
support the peer review system.

This can be accomplished either through modified versions of the
existing indirect (subscription or author charges) model and/or
through a new direct subsidy.  A direct subsidy would remove the
inefficiencies and probably provide better understanding and
control of the real and minimally required costs.

Separating peer review from distribution is the key.  Support
them in different ways, but understand their complementary
functions.

David Stern
Director of Science Libraries and Information Services
Kline Science Library
New Haven, CT  06520-8111
david.e.stern@yale.edu